Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- Your upcoming general anesthesia or I.V.sedation surgery requires that you have NO FOODS or LIQUIDS ( INCLUDING WATER ) 6 hours prior to your surgery. However, it is important to take your normal blood pressure medication, asthma medication, or any pre-medication prescriptions that we have provided, USING ONLY A SMALL SIP OF WATER.
- If your surgery is scheduled for the morning hours, take nothing by mouth after midnight the night prior to surgery. If your surgery is scheduled for the afternoon , you may eat a very light breakfast 6 hours prior to surgery.
- Please wear loose clothing; something comfortable with short sleeves to facilitate the taking of blood pressure and monitoring of you heart rate.
- You must be accompanied by someone who will be able to drive you home and REMAIN IN THE OFFICE DURING THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE. Those under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Female patients should remove all face and eye make-up, nail polish and jewelry prior to surgery
- Contact lenses and jewelry need to be removed prior to surgery and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- You need to have someone stay with you at home after your surgery for the first 12-24 hours while you are recovering fully from anesthesia
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Livesay or Dr. Bailey prior to your surgical date for instructions.